Thursday, April 9, 2009

Home-made ho-ho cake

I should have taken a picture of this and put it up to redeem myself with my icky spring cake. I made a really big Ho-ho, it was delicious. I baked my chocolate cake in a jelly roll pan and rolled it up (which is hard) you could just bake it in a 9X13 pan and just layer it. Depending on how adventurous you feel.
Ingredients:
1 box chocolate cake mix(you can make one from scratch) and all the ingredients to make that cake, whichever you choose.
Vanilla Cream Filling:
1/2 c. shortening(non butter flavored)
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. butter
1 small can evaporated milk
Chocolate glaze:
1/2 c. butter
3 bars unsweetened bakers chocolate(they come in 4 oz bars usually)
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 1/2 TBS. water
Make you cake according to box directions, let cool. If you are going to do a rolled up version just let it cool enough that you can handle, don't let it dry and cook enough to break and already have your filling made. 
For the filling blend shortening, sugar, and butter together until well blended then add vanilla. Then gradually pour in evaporated milk until the mixture comes together like a thick paste, you may not use all the milk. Spread in an even layer over cake. Again if you are rolling roll up immediately and place several toothpicks to hold it in place. Then for the glaze melt the butter and chocolate, once melted remove from heat and add the powdered sugar and whisk until the sugar is dissolved, add a little water until it's at pourable but not runny. Pour over your rolled cake or just on top of the filling and let cool and set up in the fridge. You'll never buy little debbie ho-hos again

1 comment:

  1. HA! I love that picture so much! I think everyone is so cute in it! It would have been nice to have Kira in it though..oh well. Ill have it printed for you or something if I can find the memory card tat it's on. I think it's on my mom's camera. I'll check. It's super cute...back when I was skinny :)

    ReplyDelete